Sunday, August 1, 2010

Reggae Rajahs

8/1/10 2pm

Yesterday I was supposed to have my laundry delivered to me here at the hotel. I'd been hand-washing and re-wearing (um, mostly the latter, I'll admit) for three weeks but given the humidity here, things just weren't quite getting dry. But the hotel laundry is exorbitant: about $1.50 to wash ONE PAIR of underwear. Are you kidding me? So, I found a laundry spot around the corner and dropped my stuff off Wednesday. And they were supposed to deliver it "after 6:30" yesterday (this seemed like a long time to me) but what does that really mean?

Around 8 I started getting nervous and called the number on the receipt. Of course, they spoke exactly zero English, except to say "wrong number" and hang up. Thank goodness for the Taj Ambassador- they called the number for me, were re-directed to another number, got some address where my clean laundry was, and then they actually sent someone over (with my money) to pay for and pick up my laundry.

About 20 minutes later the doorbell to my room rang and there it was. Everything was individually wrapped in plastic and each item was labeled with a tracking number. The tshirts had cardboard backing and were folded perfectly. My kurtis were all on hangers and had been nicely ironed. My old and raggedy pajama pants were even on a hanger. Don't worry, I took pictures.

So although it was a bit of a headache and took days longer than I would expect it to, I couldn't get over how everything was so perfectly folded and wrapped and packaged that I definitely plan on sending my stuff there again when it's time. What an experience. India is full of wonders.

Anyway, then Beth and I went out and met up with our friends Akshat and Param. We had a late dinner and then went over to Cafe Oz to see the "Reggae Rajahs." These guys were not very good DJ's and I am not a fan of reggae by any means but it was a totally hilarious experience because it was all these people trying to be Jamaican in the middle of India. I really, really, really, REALLY wish I had brought my camera with me- but I don't even know if pictures would capture the ridiculousness of the setting. Even better than the setting or the "music"- the place was full of young white American/European hippies. With dreads. And backpacks. And attitudes. I remember being a young white worldwide tourist, and seeing their energy and silliness made me nostalgic for my time on Semester at Sea. At the same time it made me so thankful to be older and wiser! It was a good evening and we didn't get back to the hotel until after 1am.

Today is my ONE day off and I enjoyed the opportunity to sleep in! The fact that there was a giant thunderstorm this morning really helped me not feel guilty about my decision not to get up and do sightseeing. I skipped the hotel breakfast and went to the gym for a workout, appreciating the sensation of wearing clean workout clothes. Had McDonald's for lunch- the Paneer Salsa Wrap was AMAZING- and now I'm doing my internet hour before I return to my book.

It's Friendship Day, too, which means, um, I guess people are celebrating friendship. I'm not sure where this holiday originated but apparently it's very popular here, to the point where kids are actually allowed to wear their Friendship Day bracelets to school- ordinarily something like this would be forbidden because it's not part of the uniform. Friendship Day also means that StarWorld, one of the English channels we get here at the hotel, is having a Friends marathon.

Later today I'm going to the movies to see "Once Upon a Time in Mumbai" which is a new and popular movie. In Hindi. Going to the movies in India is apparently quite different from going in America, so I am looking forward to the experience. A few people from our group have been to the movies to see American movies but I would much rather have the true Indian experience- after all, I can see Inception and Twilight Eclipse when I get back home!

But about the movie, I went down to the lobby a few minutes ago to ask which was the closest movie theater, figuring that I would just go early and get tickets- and it's ending up that the hotel is sending a car over to buy our tickets early in case the show sells out (Sunday is the big movie day here in Delhi I guess). What's with the hotel doing all this nice stuff for us? First my laundry and now the movie tickets- they really do go out of their way here to make sure you are comfortable and that everything works out accordingly. I will certainly miss all the things they have done for me and our group to ensure we have a comfortable experience here. Considering the chaos of Delhi and of India in general, the Taj Ambassador is a welcome oasis.

Well, there's a long list of things I'm missing and can't wait to return to (like having ice in my drinks) but the list of things I will miss a whole lot is of almost equal length. Still, there's no place like home- and despite the wonderful time I'm having, I am already looking forward to getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment