Saturday, August 7, 2010

Adventures and New Mates

Yesterday Beth, Diane, and I went over to the Taj Mahal pool for some much-needed relaxation. The sky was clear for once, the sun was out, and it was very hot but the pool was perfectly refreshing. We arrived there around 4:30, and a really nice Australian guy named Phil struck up a conversation with me and Beth. We sat in the pool and talked for hours, enjoying a couple cocktails, and comparing cultures. Eventually, Phil's girlfriend Jackie joined us. They both work for the Department of Defense, and have spent a lot of time traveling and living abroad for work, so they had a lot of interesting stories.

Americans definitely don't travel to faraway places like people from other countries do, that's for sure. I've been to a bunch of places, and so have most of my friends, but did you know that fewer than 20% of Americans hold passports? I guess things are just different in America- not only do we have less time off work than people in other countries, but also, the cost of living in America is so high. I've usually had the time but not the money- the only reason why I'm here this summer is that my expenses are paid by someone else and I can afford not to teach summer school or take a summer job!

But I digress. As it happens, it was Phil and Jackie's last night in Delhi and they wanted to go out for a nice dinner, and they invited us along with them! Around 9pm we parted ways to dash back to the hotel and get ready, and then we met them back at the Taj Mahal, where they had a driver to take us over to the restaurant, and a reservation. Pretty sweet!

We went to a restaurant called Bukhara, which is still well-known for being the place President Clinton ate at three times when he visited India ten years ago. It's in a posh hotel- the InterContinental- and it was quite exciting. The restaurant is traditional Indian kebab, which I'd never had before, and it was delicious. If I tried to describe it, I would fail, but I ate a ton of delicious food last night. It was so enjoyable, as was the company; my most expensive meal in Delhi so far and it was completely worth every rupee! If you are ever in Delhi you must try Bukhara.

Around 1am we got back to the hotel and I felt completely relaxed and refreshed and got a good night's sleep. Of course, I'm used to waking up around 5:30 or 5:45 to get to school by the time it starts at 7, so even sleeping until 8:30 this morning seemed like a luxury beyond compare.

I've been putzing around the hotel all day- going to drop off my laundry (I told a little white lie- that I was leaving on Wednesday- so that I could be sure to get it back on time!) and working out at the gym and putting together a PowerPoint and watching TV and reading… it's been very relaxing, but also somewhat productive. In a little while, some of us are going to Akshardham Temple, a Hindu temple with a laser light show and rides. Yes, rides.

Not sure what the evening will bring but I do know I will have some sort of adventure, as long as my good luck continues to hold out.

Cheers to my new "mates" Jackie and Phil!

No comments:

Post a Comment