Tuesday, July 13, 2010

MOMOS!

7/13/10 - 5:45pm

I just got back from an awesome shopping experience! I'm normally not one who likes to shop for clothes because I hate trying them on, but in India it's different because you purchase an item and they alter it according to your measurements right on the spot. So I bought a Salwar Kameez (a three piece suit consisting of a long shirt/dress, loose fitting pants, and a scarf) to wear to our dinner tonight- it was only about $25 including the custom fit. In India, you walk into a sari shop and everything is on shelves folded up… the proprietors of the shop have you sit down and they pull everything out and overwhelm you with beautiful fabrics. It's hard to make a choice but there is such good variety around that there's something for every taste.

Walking around the market was quite an experience- way better than Khan Market because everything was out in the open and there was so much to see. In addition to the Salwar Kameez, I bought a couple other blouses and a scarf and some hankies to wipe off all the sweat.

Most important- I got to try Momos, something I've been hearing about since my DC orientation. They are basically, steamed dumplings with quasi-Indian seasoning. SO GOOD. They were everything I hoped for and more.

I can't wait to post all the pictures I took- I have to find out a way to do that!

Anyway, Prakash from the hotel just showed up with some lovely afternoon fruit… just as I was typing this entry!


I am having a blast- too bad I have to actually work tomorrow :(

No comments:

Post a Comment