Sunday, July 11, 2010

Arriving to India

Just a short note, as I'm about to run out of wireless time and I think I'm going to try to go back to sleep in a few minutes.

I'm in my very comfortable bed at our very comfortable hotel as I type this, and it's about 5am India time (but 7:30pm Philly time, which explains why I'm having a hard time sleeping but will probably be completely exhausted just in time for the meetings planned later today!) and, well, I'm glad to finally be here.

Indian hospitality is great! We had some folks at the airport to pick us up, and the hotel staff was bright and chipper at 2am, handing us glasses of fresh watermelon juice and bringing our bags up to our rooms for us. When I got into my room, there were two gorgeous fresh mangoes and bottled water waiting for me, and the shower has amazing water pressure- perfect to refresh me after all those hours of sitting in airplanes!

I feel very lucky to be treated so well, and to be given this opportunity... yet there is so much unknown! How sick will I get? What will my school be like? What challenges will I run into as I attempt to communicate with people of a completely different culture? And, being that I'm the type of person who constantly tries to find out as much as I can in anticipation of whatever's on the horizon, what I don't know right now is making my head spin!

Well- the hotel has great wireless, so hopefully I'll have some time to update the blog often. I'm going to try to get some shuteye. And hope that the unknowns become knowns, and soon!

1 comment:

  1. Glad to read you have arrived. While a small amount of anxiety and concern about being sick etc is good, do not let it keep you from "doing" remember yoda - and you can "do".
    We love you and are proud of you. While we are reading this as we get ready for bed, you are probably in the middle of your first exciting day.
    Be yourself it is more than good enough.
    Mom wants to say she hopes you "Slept well, princess Beth"
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete