Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Back from Agra

So in the past hour I have either spoken with or g-chatted with about 6 people who have said that they love reading my blog! This is wonderful to hear. I really miss everybody I left behind when I came to India, so knowing that people read this blog helps me feel connected to the folks on the other side of the world.

Anyway, I am completely exhausted (and probably incoherent) from the trip to Agra, and will probably go to bed early tonight, but let me tell you that the excursion was amazing and I will definitely write a more detailed post tomorrow.

The Taj Mahal was absolutely gorgeous and awe-inspiring. There is no way anybody could take a picture or put into words what it is actually like to be there and experience it with your own eyes. We saw it at night, and then again just after sunrise, and though I have already been there (on Semester at Sea, in October 2000) it was still just as amazing, or perhaps more so, the second time around.

But the most interesting part of the trip was the 6 hour drive between Delhi and Agra. Sitting in the comfort of an air-conditioned and quite roomy bus, I watched the countryside go by, passing through small towns and rural villages. It's not like in the States where everywhere you go is on an expressway and it all looks the same... there were interesting things to look at the ENTIRE way.

India is such a land of interesting contrasts. There are the wealthy, and there are the extremely poor. No violence towards cows is allowed, but literally every day I open the Times of India to read stories about honor killings. And this is how things are here. The list goes on and on. It is absolutely fascinating and thought-provoking.

But right now I am way too tired to think- and it's back to school tomorrow! Pictures coming soon! I miss you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment